Monday, January 9, 2012

Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

Gluten Free Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
Also Dairy Free


OK so maybe this isn’t the best recipe to be posting the first week of the new year when so many of use are trying to be healthier, but sometimes you need things like this to get through certain things….okay…yeah, we don’t NEED food to cope with things, but sometimes, if I can just eat something chocolate…I’m a much better person.  Anyways, the kids love ‘em too.  For some reason I got thinking about muffins and those jumbo chocolate chocolate chip muffins you can buy at Costco or other bakeries and I just really missed being able to have that.  So I pulled out the best muffin recipe I have ever used (including pre-gluten free days) and just made one change to it to make these delicious gluten free chocolate chocolate chip muffins or double chocolate chip muffins….however you want to say it!



Here is the gluten free muffin recipe, but to make them double chocolate, just like the ones from the store, you are going to subtract 1/3 cup flour and replace it with 1/3 cup cocoa powder.  Then add a cup of Ghirardelli semi-sweet or 60% cocoa chocolate chips (they are dairy free and I use coconut milk when making these).


Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  • 1 2/3 c. gluten-free flour mix
  • 1/3 c cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 1  Tb. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 – 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla or other flavoring
  • 3/4 – 1 c. milk, juice, or water
  • up to 1 c. chocolate chips
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and sugar.  In a smaller bowl, or measuring cup, combine the oil, eggs, vanilla and milk.  Add that to the dry ingredients and whisk together until moistened.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Divide into lined muffin cups and I like to sometimes sprinkle a little sugar on top like the bakeries do.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes.  Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.  Usually best served warm.
(note: I use Silvana Nardone's GF blend and leave out the xanthan gum when making this recipe since her blend already has the xanthan gum in it.  I just love her blend and all her recipes!  




I love this recipe because it is so versatile!  I've also used this gluten free muffin recipe to make
Gluten Free Strawberry Muffins

2 comments:

Stewart said...

Candace, how did you confirm that the choco chips are dairy free? I emailed ghiradelli and they could only confirm that their semi-sweet chips are dairy free but made on the same line as other dairy containing products. This recipe looks great though! We are gf and df so I am excited to try out some of your recipes. I am a huge fan of muffins!

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Hi Stewart! Thanks for your comment! As far as the ghiradelli chocolate chips, I guess they may have trace contamination if they are processed on the same lines like you discovered, but we haven't had any problems from them. And the last time I knowingly had a small amount of dairy I was in pain for 3 days so if there was significant contamination, we would probably notice. If you guys are even more sensitive to dairy, then it might be worth it to find something else. I had a hard time finding dairy free chocolate chips, there are vegan chocolate chips that are completely soy free, dairy free, etc but they were pretty pricey and I wasn't sure how good they would be. Another healthy option for chocolate chips that would be safe that I have been meaning to try is cacao nibs.

We are vigilant about staying away from Gluten and anything processed on the same lines as gluten but I guess we have been a little bit more lax with that regarding dairy because we eat use these chocolate chips ALL the time!