Thursday, June 9, 2011

Farmhouse Potatoes

Hello friends!  I've been busy this week working on some stuff that I'm excited to share, but none of the projects are ready yet so stay tuned!  In the mean time, today was one of those stormy, stay in your PJs and watch home videos all day days...and when dinner time rolled around...this really hit the spot...


Farmhouse Potatoes
So, if I haven't emphasized it or if it hasn't been obvious to anyone, I'm a potato head!  My favorite food is potatoes...must be the Irish blood!  So when we came to Omaha to house hunt, we found this wonderful cafe called Farmhouse Cafe, the only bad part is they have an amazing bakery when you walk in and J and I can't have any of the amazing looking goods behind the glass cases!  We went for brunch and J and I got the only thing we can get when eating out for breakfast/brunch...bacon, eggs and potatoes.  Farmhouse cafe did not have your typical home-fries or hash browns, they had "Farmhouse Potatoes" and after we left, the rest of the day I was craving more. So when we made the long drive again from Dallas to Omaha for the actual move 3 weeks later, our first stop in town was the Farmhouse Cafe!  It was afternoon but we wanted that awesome breakfast again, and this time, I got TWO orders of the Farmhouse Potatoes!  Well, I've started making them at home too, and adding vidalia onion!  These are soooo good and I think baby B got more of my Irish genes than J did, he eats these up faster than I can keep replenishing his tray!  J-girl is like daddy, she's a fiend for Bacon, Taylor Ham (anyone from NJ know what I'm talking about?) and pizza (gluten free only now).  

Anyways, my farmhouse potatoes aren't exactly like the ones at the cafe, those ones are sliced a bit thicker and taste a bit richer, and it's always nice when someone else makes it!

Next time you want some comfort food, whip up some of these (I just made these for my dinner!).  Don't be deterred by having to slice up the potatoes!  You can do it! :)

Farmhouse Potatoes

Thinly slice up some russet or yukon potatoes.  I use the slicing blade on my hand held cheese grater.  Place slices in a bowl of cold water as you work.  Then drain and rinse with water. Shake off excess water and then spread potatoe slices over a paper towel.  Take another paper towel and pat them dry, removing as much water as you can.

Put a blend of 50/50 oil in the skillet (vegetable oil/olive oil) and heat over med-high, then toss in sweet onions.

Spread the potato slices around the pan, and mix up with the onions a bit so they are layered together.  Cover with a lid to help potatoes cook through faster.  


When the bottom layer of potatoes starts to get golden and crisp, flip the potatoes over, cover with lid and cook till golden and crisp on other side.


Sprinkle with coarse salt and paprika...

 ENJOY!


Note- some of the onions look rather black, but they didn't taste burnt or scorched...nope...tasted great!


Here is where I'm Hoppin'

4 comments:

Denise said...

These look delicious. I love potatoes any kind of way to begin with but these are something else! I'm a new follower from Thursday's Friends Cafe Blog Hop. I love the photo in your header, too cute. I hope you will follow me back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I can be found in facebook too http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and twitter @DeniseLillaRose If you like/follow me there I will do the same for you. When you stop by my blog, please check out my kind of fashion (hair jewelry).

Fern Blossom Studio said...

Yum! I didn't expect my morning read to make me hungry, but it did! These will make it to our table with a big bowl of Salad for dinner next week ;) thanks for sharing!

melonbelly said...

wow! My mouth is watering!!

Quirky Homemaker said...

Oh my gosh! You're making me so hungry!!! And what a great idea using the cheese grater! I've never even thought of that~~ thanks for stopping by the S&R weekend hop!! See you next week!