Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chocolate Ganache with Coconut Milk - Dairy Free

Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake with Dairy Free Ganache

I recently had a birthday, but my 3 year old had the flu so we didn't end up making the cake, so today was the 10 year anniversary of my first date with my hubby so we finally made the cake.  We used the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix we found at Walmart and then made a dairy free Ganache frosting.  I LOVE chocolate Ganache so I was hoping I would be able to make a dairy free version.  It was SUPER good!  None of us felt like we were missing out on anything, the ganache with coconut milk was equally as good as the traditional ganache but probably a lot healthier considering coconut milk is very low calorie and you normally make it with whipping cream! The cake mix was great too, I used a Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks to substitute a stick of butter called for on the mix directions. You would never know this cake was gluten free or dairy free, texture and taste was like the real thing!  

Dairy Free Chocolate Ganache with Coconut Milk (Low Fat Ganache)

1/2 cup coconut milk
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips they are dairy free)

Use a double boiler, or makeshift one by filling a medium size pot with water and bringing to a boil.  Place a medium size glass or metal bowl over the water and add coconut milk and chocolate chips and stir with a spatula as the chocolate chips melt.  Once the chocolate is mostly melted, stir smooth with a wire wisk.  Remove bowl from boiling water and let cool and begin to set a little so it is not TOO runny.  Once the ganache starts to cool and thicken, pour over your cake.

Now, I think I need to go sneak another slice!!!



2 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, that looks amazing!

Crystal Escobar said...

Oh wow, I can't believe thats dairy free. Looks delicious!!!