Friday, March 12, 2010

Putting Ourselves Out There...



I just watched the video above from Wanna be Balanced Mom (super cute video by the way). I loved her post that included this video, it spoke to me very personally. I know exactly what it's like....way too well, to not do things or pursue things we want to do because of fear of what others will think. Singing is a major one of those things for me! I used to write songs all the time, and still work on them when I manage to sit my butt down at the piano...but I've always been WAY too afraid to ever share them with anybody. I get so embarrassed, worrying what other people will think, that I can't even bring myself to share the things I've done or created (minus my simple crafts on this blog! lol! That's easier, it's not IN PERSON! lol). Anyways, my own husband has only heard one song of mine, I did get the courage to sing a song I wrote for him back when we were dating and about to go off to different colleges. I made him sit where I couldn't see him, so I felt like no one was there...and I still was shaking so bad...and that was a one time deal. lol.

I was really inspired by Crystal's courage here. It really hit home and I hope I can be more brave like her and not let my fear of what others may think hold me back from fulling doing the things I enjoy, or from trying new things and just do a better job of putting myself out there. I mean, this may sound rediculous, but I've been too nervous to host a playdate at my home for my playgroup because I'm always worried what people will think about our apartment since most other families live in a house. Crystal's message just helped me realize how much I do this without realizing what I'm really doing, how I'm limiting myself, and helped me realize I need to KNOCK IT OFF! :)

Being a mom has made me more aware of this issue as well. I don't want my daughter to limit herself from doing what she loves and sharing it with others, or fulfilling a dream because she is worried about what others may think, from fear of failure or rejection. I want her to live life and give it her best shot! If I'm not willing to put myself out there, how will she learn to do it? I can encourage her as much as I want, but I do believe we teach more by example than anything else.

Thanks Crystal, for being an example for me!!!

Just a little something to think about....

4 comments:

Crystal Escobar said...

Candace, you are awesome!!! I loved what you wrote about this video :)
I just voted for you on top mommy blogs and will do so every time I visit, I seriously LOVE your blog and think you are so talented. I would love to feature you sometime on my FAB Friday's. You have so much fun stuff to offer us moms. I can't get enough of your ideas.

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Geeze Crystal you are such a sweetheart! You're making me blush! I'm really glad you enjoy my blog! I'm voting for you too, I have been spending quite a bit of time over at your blog trying to catch up on all the great stuff you have over there! I'd be honored to do a FAB Friday!

Amy McCauley said...

I just happened across your blog and read this post and I know EXACTLY what you mean! I am a graphic designer and have started doing photography. But for some reason photography is so personal for me and I am almost stricken with fear that it won't be good enough and then ack! what will people think! It is ridiculous to think that. I have had years of training, and with design I'm not afraid one iota and can endure the harshest criticism but with photography I just can't seem to make it over that fear. Great post!

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Hi Amy,

I know what you mean! It's so silly but the fear of something so personal not being liked or criticized can be paralyzing! I'd love to see some of your photography!