Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cherry Christmas Cookies - "Noel Cookies"

Cherry Christmas Cookies

Well, I didn't have much planned for baking this year as we are on our own and didn't have a lot of people to share the baked goods with, but I did want to surprise my hubby and make one of his favorite Christmas cookies.  His mom always made these Cherry Christmas Cookies, or "Noel Cookies".  She got her recipe from a magazine in the 70s and and cut it out and saved it all these years, but last year she lost it so I had to search the internet to find something similar.  She said this recipe sounded pretty close to the one she used all those years..I'm sure it won't be "the same" but they sure look and smell good!  I found this recipe on AllRecipes.com HERE.  As for the original recipe, she thinks it was either from Country Home or Family Circle in the mid 70s so if anyone out there actually has that recipe, please let me know!!!  It's a family tradition!

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup chopped cherries
  • 1 cup butter
(I only made half the recipe since only my hubby can eat them with the butter in them.  I also added 1/2 tsp vanilla and used chopped maraschino cherries.)

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
  2. Cream butter and confectioners' sugar together. Add the cornstarch and flour and mix well. Stir in the chopped cherries. Drop teaspoonfuls of the dough onto a cookie sheet then press with tines of a floured fork.
  3. Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) until lightly golden, about 10 to 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Nathalie said...

this looks SOOO yummy! i'll have to give this recipe a try! great blog!!

Crystal Escobar said...

YUM! You're making me hungry!